Transmission Corporation Limited is a registered company
under the Companies Act, 1956 was incorporated on 28-7-1999
and is a company wholly owned by the Government of Karnataka
with an authorised share capital of Rs. 1455 crores. KPTCL
was formed on 1-8-1999 by carving out the Transmission
and Distribution functions of the erstwhile Karnataka
KPTCL is headed by a Chairman and
Managing Director at the Corporate office. He is assisted
by four functional Directors. The Board of KPTCL consists
of a maximum of twelve directors.
Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation
Limited is mainly vested with the functions of Transmission
of power in the entire State of Karnataka and also Construction
of Stations & Transmission Lines and maintenance of
400/220/110/66 KV Sub-Stations. Many new lines and Sub-Stations
were added & existing stations were modified in the
Transmission network. It operates under a license issued
by Karnataka Electricity Regulatory Commission.
has 4 No. 400 KV Station, 97 No. of 220 KV Station, 385
No. of 110 KV Station and 602 No. of 66 KV Station. The
Total Transmission Line in CKMs is 34251 as on 31.03.2016.
The various wings of KPTCL is as
• Corporate Office at Kaveri Bhavan, Bangalore
• Six Transmission zones, each zone is headed by
a Chief Engineer.
• State Load Despatch Centre
• SCADA(Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition)
The annual turnover of the Organisation
was nearly Rs. 2395.80 crores during the year 2014-15.
Government vide order No. 69 BSR
2001 Bangalore, dated 15/02/2002 has unbundled KPTCL and
formed four distribution companies.
Consequent to this the function
of distribution of power has been totally separated from
KPTCL. KPTCL is now vested with the responsibility of
transmitting power all over the State and construction
and maintenance of Stations and lines of 66KV and above.
The four newly formed independent
distribution companies, which were registered on 30/04/2002,
are Bangalore Electricity Supply Company, Mangalore Electricity
Supply Company, Hubli Electricity Supply Company and Gulbarga
Electricity Supply Company. They have started functioning
w.e.f.. 01/06/2002. These companies are incharge of distribution
of power within their jurisdiction.
The Fifth Distribution Company
Chamundeshwari Electricity Supply Corporation limited
is a company incorporated under the company act 1956 and
is a successor entity to Karnataka Power Transmission
Corporation Limited (KPTCL) and MESCOM in respect of Distribution
and retail supply of Electric power for five districts.
Its operation started from 01.04.2005 as per the GOK order
E.N.08 P.N.R 2005/262.
PCKL was incorporated on 20th August,
2007 under the Companies Act, 1956 and commenced its business
operations with effect from 16th October, 2007. PCKL is
responsible for capacity addition and procuring power
on behalf of the ESCOMs from various sources including
purchase of power through Energy Exchange, Banking (SWAP)
as well bilateral transactions. PCKL also co-ordinates
with other States and Central Government agencies on power